Nappa Hall MYD34269 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Nappa Hall is a fine example of a 15th century fortified manor house. It was built in 1459 by James Metcalfe at a time when there were frequent raids by the Scots. A single-storey central hall sits between two towers, a four-storey western tower and a two-storey eastern tower. The four-storey tower has a turret, lit by slit vents, for a spiral staircase that climbs to crenellated parapets.
The taller tower retains its original windows, but sash windows were inserted in the 18th century in the lower two-storey block which housed the kitchen and service rooms, at the opposite end of the hall. In the 17th century, an extra wing was added. The hall remained in the hands of the Metcalfe family for centuries. It was described by Leland in the 16th century as a “very goodly House”. Today it is sadly in need of repair.
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher