Belvedere, Swinithwaite Hall MYD35811 (c) YDNPA, 2023
An octagonal belvedere built in 1792 by John Foss of Richmond for the owner of Swinithwaite Hall, T J Anderson. Such buildings were intended as decorative features within a park landscape and as view points. This example is two storeys high. The upper storey has a parapet walkway giving access to a room decorated with Neo-classical plasterwork and with a cast iron fireplace. From here the estate owner and his guests could dine in comfort while enjoying panoramic views of Wensleydale.
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher
Dennison, E (2004) ‘An Historical Landscape Survey: The Swinithwaite Estate, West Witton’ in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp25-37