Blakethwaite peat store MYD36728 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This large peat house supplied fuel to Blakethwaite lead smelt mill just across Gunnerside Beck. The smelt mill began working from 1819 although it did not reach full capacity for two more years. The peat house was probably built around 1820 by Thomas Chippendale and Company who leased the Blakethwaite Mine. It is built of random rubble stone with worked stone corners. The building is approximately 42 metres long and 6.6 metres wide. It once had doorways in the gable ends while the side wall facing the beck has four surviving open arches. The peat was cut from the moorland above and slid down the hillside on a peat slide ready to be stacked under cover.
Clough, Robert T (1962) The Lead Smelting Mills of the Yorkshire Dales. Leeds: The Author
Location From bridge in Gunnerside take public footpath along east side of Gill signed 'Gunnerside Gill'. Site is 3 miles along footpath on east side of beck.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Gunnerside. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Rough, stony footpath with steep slopes and a number of stiles.