Grassington deserted medieval village from the air MYD27331 (c) YDNPA, 2023
In a field known locally as ‘Old Grassington’ or ‘The Cove’ lie the remains of probably the original Medieval settlement of Grassington. A series of enclosures and rectangular building platforms can easily be made out in the pastures north of Town Head Farm. Limited excavations in the 1960s uncovered a midden full of 14th century and later pottery and the remains of a row of three rectangular buildings built into the wall around the field, one with a paved slab floor.
King, Alan et al (1995) Early Grassington. An Archaeological and Historical Trail. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society
Raistrick, A (1937) ‘Prehistoric cultivations at Grassington, West Yorkshire’ Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 33 pp166-174
Location From Grassington Market Place go up hill, turn left onto Chapel Street and at Bank Lane follow the ""Dales Way"" footpath signs. About 3/4 mile from the Market Place the footpath goes across the site of the village.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Footpath over rough fields with some awkward squeeze stiles and step stiles with lambing gates.