Hebden suspension bridge MYD36643 (c) YDNPA, 2023
In 1884, following the drowning of a local man while trying to cross the stepping stones on the River Wharfe below Hebden, a committee was formed with the intention of building a footbridge. A great storm the previous year had also destroyed Burnsall Bridge down stream causing the villagers great problems. The new bridge was designed as a suspension bridge and was built by the village blacksmith, William Bell. 262 yards of redundant steel rope was bought for it from the Hebden Moor Mining Company. Funding for the bridge was raised through public subscription and a grand opening was held in 1885 with a brass band and a public tea. The bridge now carries a popular public footpath and was recently refurbished by the National Park Authority.
Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group
Location Follow the main road south from Hebden for just over 800m. Take the public footpath on the right signposted 'Dalesway FP to Burnsall 1m, BW to Thorpe Lane, BW to B6160'. The bridge is a short distance across the field.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Hebden. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Partly visible from roadside. Footpath is rough and muddy in places.