High Close cairn from the air MYD14996 (c) YDNPA, 2023
A mutilated, turf covered early Bronze Age burial cairn located within a probably later prehistoric field system above Grassington. It was excavated in 1892 by the Reverend Harker and friends. They found a central stone lined chamber with the bones of at least five individuals and a number of flint arrowheads. One of the barbed and tanged arrowheads was found inside an early Bronze Age beaker now on display at Craven Museum apparently incorrectly labelled as being found on the adjacent Lea Green.
King, Alan et al (1995) Early Grassington. An Archaeological and Historical Trail. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society
Raistrick, Arthur (1937) ‘Prehistoric cultivations at Grassington, West Yorkshire’ Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 33 pp166-174
Location From Grassington go north up main street to Town Hall. Continue north up Moor Lane for 500 metres. Site can be viewed at a distance over left hand wall just before Spring House Farm. Not easy to distinguish from other stones in fields.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside, but at a distance and difficult to distinguish.