Cast Away Well, Witton Fell MYD5155 (c) YDNPA, 2023
A natural spring and grotto lying almost at the top of Witton Fell. Locally it is known as ‘Slavering Sal’ due to the grotesque carved head out of which the spring flows into a stone basin. The nearby stone-built grotto is dated 1821 and was erected by the Earl of Ailesbury who had a carriage drive built up to the site from his residence at Jervaulx Abbey so that he could hold picnics for friends and family. The name Cast Away refers to the tradition of throwing small but valuable items like pins into such wells whilst making a wish.
Wheelan, Edna (1986) ‘Holy Wells in Yorkshire – 4’. www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/front.htm Date accessed 20/7/04