Cavendish Pavilion, Bolton Abbey MYD36650 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The Cavendish Pavilion on the Bolton Abbey estate was originally built in 1890 as a tea room. Refreshments were served to the thousands of visitors arriving by train who came to walk through the nearby woods. A photograph taken in the 1920s shows a rather spartan interior with long cloth-covered trestle tables and wooden stools and benches. When local historians Ella Pontefract and Marie Hartley visited it in the 1930s they described it as “…a café with a continental air”. It was recently enlarged.
Pontefract, E & Hartley, M (1988) Wharfedale. Otley: Smith Settle
Location Turn into car park entrance beside B6160 just north of Bolton Abbey village. The pavilion is signposted from here and is about a mile further on. Car park charge (See www.boltonabbey.com for opening times and charges).
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Bolton Abbey. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility See www.boltonabbey.com for accessible facilities.