Church House, Grassington MYD36009 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Church House in the centre of Grassington is now a chapel and public hall. It started life however in 1694 as a farmhouse. Tradition has it that the owners were Stephen and Alice Peart due to the initials “SAP” over the door. It is likely however, that the builder’s surname actually began with ‘A’. The house is built of coursed gritstone rubble with stone mullion windows throughout. It is two storeys high with a projecting gable bay on the right hand side. The date stone is decorated with cross and heart motifs and above it there is a stone plaque that may originally have held a sun dial, now replaced with a 20th century clock. Inside, a large arched fireplace survives, with a built in side oven.
During the 18th century the house became a livery stables. This was run by the Chapman family during the 19th century. After a period of being a Temperance Hotel it was bought by the church in 1924 and consecrated for worship for those who could not make the long journey across the valley to the main church at Linton Falls.
Goldthorpe, Ian (1998) Grassington Towards the Millennium. Grassington: The Dales Book Centre