Old School, Horsehouse MYD36586 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The building that now houses Horsehouse village hall in Coverdale was once Horsehouse school. It was rebuilt in 1877 with funds donated by H T Robinson Esq and Mr G W W Wray of Leyburn. The following poem can be seen there. It was composed by a local man, Ralph Rider, who was 90 years old and blind at the time. His descendants now live in America. It presumably records the benefactors of the earlier school.
“The Stranger may here see as he goes by
An Act of most extensive Charity
Which Providence has brought upon the stage
Such Deeds are rare in this degenerate age
Where sensual Pleasures, Avarice and Pride
Predominate, and Virtue laid aside.
Here’s Treasure laid for ages to endure
from Rust and Moth and Pilfering thieves secure
Which like seed sown upon a fertile soil
In time will recompense the Plowman’s toil.
Posterity may reap the crop and thank
JOHN CONSTANTINE and WILLIAM SWITHINBANK”
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher