Burtersett candle mill MYD36049 (c) YDNPA, 2023
A small, four-storey building on a sloping site adjacent to a stream which is partly canalised and bridged over to form a platform east of the building. The mill is built of roughly coursed mortared sandstone rubble with massive roughly dressed quoins. The roof is of sandstone slates laid in diminishing courses and has a distinctive interlocking ‘wrestler’ ridge. It is recorded as being a silk mill in the first half of the 19th century but by the end of the century the ‘old silk mill’ was the site of a tallow candle making business operated by William Metcalfe (Candle Willy). Jerry Horn of Burtersett took over the business from William in 1913 and the business ended with him.
Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson