Countersett silk mill MYD32960 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This mill is marked on the 1854 Ordnance Survey map of the area as a ‘Silk Mill’. Its history is almost entirely unknown. Architecturally its construction can be dated to around 1800. In 1843 it was occupied by William Whaley. By 1910 the Ordnance Survey described it as an ‘Old Silk Mill’ on their maps. The mill was water-powered with an internal wheel, ground floor accommodation and a first floor chamber for silk working, probably waste silk spinning. It is unusual in its remote location and being in an area not traditionally associated with silk working.
Giles, C & Goodhall, Ian H (1992) Yorkshire Textile Mills: The Buildings of the Yorkshire Textile Industry 1770-1930. London: HMSO
Location From Countersett take Marsett Lane south (signed to Marsett). After just over 1/2 mile, site can be partially viewed on left hand side of road. No public access.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Bainbridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Top of mill viewable from roadside.