Parcevall Hall Gardens MYD36063 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The gardens surrounding Parcevall Hall near Appletreewick cover about 6.5 hectares (16 acres). They are the work of Sir William Milner who bought the estate in 1927. Having remodelled the hall, he set about using the stone and soil produced to create large terraces and walls. It took thirty men three years to finish the construction work.
The large rockery is built on a natural stone outcrop, but further stone was carted down off the moor. The stream running through it was diverted from an old mining level. Sir Thomas had many contacts in the gardening world. He was one of the founder members of the Harlow Carr Botanical Gardens near Harrogate. The gardens at Parcevall Hall contain many trees and shrubs from Tibet and Western China collected by Reginald Farrer of Ingleborough Hall and also by George Forrest, another famous plant collector.
The terraces and borders are laid out in the shape of a cross for Sir Thomas was a deeply religious man. When he died, he left the house and gardens to the Wolsingham Shrine who let it to Bradford Diocese to run as a retreat house.
www.parcevallhallgardens.co.uk – website devoted to the gardens with information on facilities and opening times
http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/arch/landscapes/ukpg/database/ – UK database of historic parks and gardens