Coverham Abbey from the air MYD34652 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Building work started at Coverham Abbey, a Premonstratensian house, sometime between 1196 and 1202, after the monks had transferred from their original site at Swainby in the Vale of Mowbray, possibly to be nearer their patrons based at Middleham Castle. The abbey was damaged by Scottish raiders in 1331-32. The early 16th century abbots’ quarters and guesthouse were converted into a private house after the Dissolution. The north range was rebuilt as a compact but high quality house around 1800. Its garden contains the remains of the south arcade of the abbey church. The gatehouse also survives but the fishponds to the east were built over in the early 1980s. North of the parish church at Coverham are the earthworks of a Medieval mill pond and farm complex.
Coverham Abbey MYD34652 (c) YDNPA, 2023
White, Robert (2002) The Yorkshire Dales. A Landscape Through Time. Ilkley: Great Northern Books [‘The monasteries’ pp56-62]