Fremington corn mill, Swaledale MYD35475 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The first record of a mill in Fremington dates to 1288. By 1331 part of it had been acquired by Bridlington Priory from the manorial lord. The present building was in existence by 1751 and consisted of the mill, a corn drying kiln and a house for the miller. The mill was driven by a low breastshot water wheel nearly 5 metres in diameter. It ran two pairs of millstones. The wheel is entirely made from timber as is the axle dating it to before the 19th century when most mill wheels were refurbished with iron components. The present building evolved from the mid-18th century structure with the wheel on the outside, to its present form with the wheel enclosed by around 1900. Records show that sometime between 1897 and 1909 the miller went out of business and the mill closed.
Interior Fremington corn mill, Swaledale MYD35475 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Matkin, Robert, B (1976) ‘Discovering A Dales Water Mill’ The Dalesman. Vol 38 pp608-611