Eshton Hall MYD3973 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Eshton Hall was remodelled by George Webster of Kendal for Matthew Wilson during 1825-7. Previously, a large but plain Georgian Palladian house had been built on the site, probably some time in the later 18th century. This in its turn may have been built over an earlier house whose possible remains survive in the cellar. George Webster remodelled several country houses in the Yorkshire Dales during the first half of the nineteenth century. He used large parts of the Palladian house at Eshton to form the new building. Eshton Hall is in the Tudor or Elizabethan revival style and is one of the earliest fully achieved works in this style even if in the end it is more an enormous façade rather than an entirely new building. The grand interiors by contrast to the exterior are mostly in the classical style, some dating to the earlier house. One of the most important parts of the house was the library. A huge book collection was inherited and added to by Miss Frances Mary Richardson Currer. From 1833 the internationally famous collection was housed in the two large rooms at the south end of the main hall on a set of large bookshelves dating to around the time of the 19th century remodelling.
Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle
Location Situated just over a mile from Gargrave on the Eshton Road (to Malham). Pass through stone pillars beside road and through park bounded by iron railings. The Hall is not open to the public but can be viewed from the roadside.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Eshton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside.