Fountaine’s Hospital MYD4124 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Richard Fountaine of Linton made his fortune in London. By his will of July 15, 1721 an estate was purchased to provide revenue and the chapel and almshouses known as Fountaine’s Hospital were erected on his main estate in Linton. £26 per year was to be spent on 6 poor men or women in the parish and £20 per year to the minister. The Palladian style building may have been designed by William Wakefield, following the style of Vanburgh. The hospital was extended to the rear in the late 19th century. This followed a period of decay of the buildings and corruption among those in charge of the foundation. The hospital still houses local elderly people and the large estate purchased by Richard Fountaine continues to fund the charity.
Goldthorpe, Ian (1998) Grassington Towards the Millennium. Grassington: The Dales Book Centre
Location In centre of Linton village. Past the Fountaine Inn on the far side of the green. Viewable from road and the chapel is open to the public. For details see www.yorkshirechurches.com
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Threshfield. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside. For chapel see www.yorkshirechurches.com