Grassington Primary School – old MYD36575 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The old Primary School in Grassington on Wood Lane was built in 1845 and was what is known as a National School. This means that it was grant-aided and organised by the National Society for the Education of Children in the Principles of the Church of England. Land was donated to the rector and churchwardens of Linton Parish by a local woman. The school building had one classroom and a teacher’s residence. Later a second classroom was added for infants. The building eventually became too small for the expanding school population. A larger facility was built on Hebden Road in the late 1960s, but the old school building continued to be used by the school until the early 1980s. The old school has been converted into housing since but the flat roofed 1960s classrooms continue to house a flourishing primary school.
Grassington Primary School – new MYD36575 (c) YDNPA 2023
Goldthorpe, Ian (1998) Grassington Towards the Millennium. Grassington: The Dales Book Centre
Raistrick, Elizabeth (1971) Village Schools An Upper Wharfedale History. Clapham: Dalesman
Location Old - In Grassington on Wood Lane just past the Toffee Shop. Converted into cottages. New - In Grassington on Hebden Road, B6265, just past the turning for the Market Place and before car park. No public access to either. View from roadside.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Both viewable from roadside.