Hawes Auction Mart from the air MYD36571 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The town of Hawes had a well-established cattle market in the centre of the town, but from 1887 a separate market site was established on the Burtersett Road by a group of local farmers and traders. The town centre market continued on until the First World War but with less and less trade. The Farmers Mart became a limited company in 1914 and shares were offered to local farmers. Business has continued to thrive although the Foot and Mouth crisis of 2002 affected trade badly. Since then, plans for developing and diversifying the site have been put in place.
Hawes Auction Mart MYD36571 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson
www.hawesauctionmart.co.uk/ – website for the Hawes Auction Mart