Hawes Station MYD4610 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The Wensleydale Railway Line built by the North Eastern Railway Company (NER) met up with a branch line to the Midland Railway’s Settle-Carlisle Line at Hawes so the station there was built as a joint project. The station, after some delays, was completed in 1878. It was designed in the Midland Railway’s ornate ‘Derby Gothic’ style with decorated wooden barge boards, pitched local sandstone walls with dressed stone quoins, lintels and window surrounds and Welsh slate roofs. On the opposite side to the main station building was a small rectangular platform shelter. The station master’s house was set some distance away to the south west of the main platform building and there is a weigh bridge building nearby. The station buildings and goods shed were extended in 1998 by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and now house the Dales Countryside Museum.
Hawes Station from the air MYD4610 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Train at Hawes Station, unknown date. Ann Holubecki collection
Hallas, Christine (2002) The Wensleydale Railway. Ilkley: Great Northern Books
Jenkinson, David (1980) Rails in the Fells. Seaton: Peco Publications