The road running east through Hebden was an important route to Ripon, Knaresborough and York. This is made clear in 1631 when it was reported that the bridge crossing Hebden Beck had been “…driven down with the violence of a great flood”. A stone replacement went up soon after paid for in part by the village. Some years later, in 1757 another violent flood destroyed the new stone bridge and this again had to be replaced. However, not long after, this bridge was superseded by a much larger one just to south built as part of the new Pateley Bridge to Grassington turnpike. The turnpike never made much of a return for its investors due to the opening of the Leeds to Liverpool Canal up to Gargrave in 1777 which diverted much of the goods traffic, particularly lead, that might have used it. By 1822 the turnpike trust was virtually at an end. Five years later, the turnpike bridge was demolished and a wider, taller bridge put in its place by West Riding Council who had taken over responsibility for its maintenance. This is the structure that can be seen today. It comprises of a single semi-circular arch and is built from coursed dressed gritstone blocks.
Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group
Location This bridge is in the centre of Hebden village and carries the B6265, Grassington to Pateley Bridge road, over Hebden Beck.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Hebden. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside.