Hebden mill – 1967 prior to demolition MYD15226 © Colin Maude, 2004
In 1791 a cotton mill was built in Hebden, next to the old corn mill. It measured internally 30 metres by 9 metres and could house up to 18 spinning frames on each of its three floors. It passed through the hands of several owners until in 1830 it was bought by Joseph Mason who also owned the successful mill at Linton. Hebden Mill then began to diversify production including worsted power loom weaving as well as mixed spinning, drawing and winding. Accommodation for its workers was built nearby and other houses were found by converting and extending an existing 17th century farmhouse along Brook Street.
In the end, water powered rural mills such as this one could not compete with their steam powered rivals and in 1870 the mill closed down. It had two brief revivals and then the mill was used to provide hydroelectric power to the village until the 1950s after which the mill was abandoned. It was completely demolished in 1967. Only the mill workers’ cottages and the 18th century mill bell that called their occupants to work survive.
Hebden Mill bell and datestone MYD15226 © Colin Maude, 2004
Ingle, George (1997) Yorkshire Cotton. The Yorkshire Cotton Industry, 1780-1835. Lancaster: Carnegie Publishing
Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group