Ingleborough Cave MYD36612 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This limestone show cave lies at the outlet of the famous Gaping Gill cave system. It was discovered by the owners of the Ingleborough estate, the Farrers in 1837 who broke down the large stalagmite barrier at the entrance of the cave to empty out an underground lake. Visitors have been coming ever since to admire the superb formations such as the Sword of Damocles and the Pillar Hall.
www.ingleboroughcave.co.uk/ – website with information about visiting the cave. Date accessed 2/3/04
Location From entrance National Park car park in Clapham.
turn right. Follow the road past the church and across a bridge. At the junction turn right and follow the road round to the left. A short distance on there is a gateway on the right with a brown sign for the cave.
Enter the yard and pay a small fee ,and then follow the well made drive for about two kilometres to the kiosk at the entrance to the cave.
Go past the yard entrance for about 23 metres to a bridleway on the right signed to the cave. Where the tarmac track turns right through a gate continue forward on a stoney track to a farm. Continue on between the buildings. After the top gate turn right on a footpath signed to the cave.
Follow this grassy and stoney path downhill to join a broad made up track.Turn left.The kiosk at the cave entrance is about 250 metres further on.This route is slightly longer.
See www.ingleboroughcave.co.uk for opening times.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Clapham. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Track to cave is well made but rough and muddy in places. See www.ingleboroughcave.co.uk for details of cave access.