Keld United Reform Church MYD35445 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Keld United Reform Church was built in 1860, replacing an Independent Chapel built in 1789. The latter was built after an itinerant preacher, Edward Stillman, so impressed the locals that they asked him to stay. He raised the £700 needed to build the first chapel by walking to London and back. The replacement church consists of a single storey chapel with a two storey manse to one side and wrought iron railings. Inside the chapel are the original pews and a panelled gallery supported on cast iron columns.
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher
http://www.urc.org.uk/ – official website of the United Reform Church
http://users.argonet.co.uk/gmb/keldchapel/ – Keld URC website