Langcliffe High Mill MYD25334 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This is one of Yorkshire’s earliest and largest cotton spinning mills. It was built in 1783-4 by Claytons and Walshman and had early Arkwright cotton spinning machines installed. The original mill had 14 bays and was five storeys high. In the early 19th century it was greatly enlarged when a steam engine was brought in to supplement the water power. The company began weaving cotton in the 1820s with the power looms eventually being housed in an additional single storey building known as Langcliffe Shed built around 1840 less than half a mile down stream. The business closed down in the mid-1950s.
Ingle, George (1997) Yorkshire Cotton. The Yorkshire Cotton Industry, 1780-1835. Lancaster: Carnegie Publishing
Location From B6479 at Langcliffe take public footpath heading west down narrow walled lane. Continue on tarmac road past caravan park entrance to mill. Mill is about 450 metres from Langcliffe village.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Langcliffe. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from B6479 at Langcliffe. Steps down to path at Langcliffe end. Then a railway bridge with steep steps and rough and muddy underfoot until reach tarmac road by caravan park.