Langcliffe quarrymen’s cottages MYD36559 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The management of the Craven Lime Works Company bought a row of nine cottages called Willy Wood in 1872 to house some of the men who worked for them, and their families. Later, the company also bought the next row of cottages along the road from the quarry, called Ribble Bank. The quarry owners imposed stringent rules on those occupying the cottages including having to make their own repairs and not being allowed to belong to a trade union. In 1902 a long and bitter dispute erupted over tenancy of these cottages, ending with the forced eviction of several families. The terrace is now known as ‘Willow Wood’.
Johnson, David (2002) Limestone Industries of the Yorkshire Dales. Stroud: Tempus
Location Situated on the right hand side of the B6479 about 0.6 miles north of Langcliffe. A terrace of cottages with the sign ""Willow Wood"".
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Langcliffe. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside.