Langthwaite Wesleyan Chapel MYD14059 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The Wesleyan chapel in Langthwaite opened in 1883, replacing a late 18th century chapel with a colourful story. The first Methodists in the dale worshipped in their houses; a room at the CB Inn and even in a local barn. The first attempt to build a chapel on common land just above the New (CB) Yard was foiled when the lord of the manor Colonel Sleigh caught them laying the foundations and ordered them to tear it down. In 1798 they bought land nearer Langthwaite and their first chapel was finally built at a cost of £400.
Whitsuntide was a particularly important chapel festival with chapel services, visits from friends and family and a Sale of Work. A local resident and chapel goer recently  wrote down her memories of ‘Wissundy’:
“On Whit Sunday we had three services; morning at 10.30, the Love Feast at 2pm and evening 6.30pm…….The Love Feast had a good congregation…George Hird came round with the Loving Cups. We all had a sip of water, then a tray was passed round with either Bath biscuits or Love Feast loaf”. The festival is still carried on but scaled down a little
Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle
Ward, John (1865) Methodism in Swaledale. Bingley: Harrison & Son
http://www.forsaith-oxon.demon.co.uk/methodist-heritage/index.html – Methodist Heritage website