Lime kiln near St Simon’s Chapel MYD34521 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This lime kiln is sited close to the Medieval St Simon’s Chapel. It is circular in plan with a segmental arch above the draw hole opening. The lime kiln is unusual in having traces of a date, possibly 1786, roughly inscribed on the east springer of the draw hole opening.
Field lime kilns such as this one were built to burn limestone. The quicklime produced was then slaked with water to produce calcium hydroxide (slaked lime). This was mostly used to improve grassland by reducing the acidity of the soil, especially of intake land or reclaimed moorland during the enclosures of the 18th and 19th centuries. Slaked lime was also an important ingredient in making lime mortar.
Johnson, David (2002) Limestone Industries of the Yorkshire Dales. Stroud: Tempus
Location From the East Witton to West Scrafton road, take public footpath about 1 mile east of West Scrafton, signed to St Simon's Bridge. Kiln lies near chapel 200 metres down path.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Caldbergh or West Scrafton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Footpath is rough and muddy in places and has steep descent to river.