Linton Mill electric plant before restoration MYD36128 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The remains of a 1920s hydroelectric power house and its associated weir crossing the river can still be seen just north of the Tin Bridge below Grassington. The first power house on the site was built over the washout sluice on the upper weir of Linton Mill. The mill itself and a second weir were located some 250 metres down stream. The power house was built by the Grassington Electric Supply Company which was formed in 1909 to provide an electricity supply to the area. The company leased the upper weir from the owners of Linton Mill. The company struggled to keep up with local demand for electricity and in 1921 went into liquidation. A new company was formed by the owners of Linton Mill. It was called The Craven Hydro-electric Supply Company. A new power house was built on the site of the old one on the upper weir and new plant installed both here and at the mill. The new company continued to provide power to the area until nationalisation of the electricity industry in 1948.
Masterson, H (1999) ‘An Electrical Undertaking in Upper Wharfedale’ Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 71 pp237-249
Location From Grassington take the footpath at the SW corner of the National Park car park (charge)to Linton Falls. Cross the footbridge to the site of Linton Mill. Follow the path round beside the building then turn right over a small packhorse bridge with wide squeeze. Continue across the field towards the brick building. The far side of the building can be seen by walking along a surfaced path to the left. About 500m.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Footpath is rough and muddy in places.