Marske Hall MYD35342 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The Hutton family were responsible for building Marske Hall around 1597. They were still living there in 1730 when the house was rebuilt and extended in classical style. The quadrangular stable block, built around 1750 is also worthy of note as are the formal landscaped grounds and an early 19th century range of farm buildings. The latter were built by John Hutton IV, who was much taken with agricultural improvement. A Gilkes Vortex water turbine dating to around 1918 is still running at the Hall. It originally ran lighting but today the power is only used for heating.
Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher
Hay, T T (2000) ‘Hydroelectricity Generation in the Yorkshire Dales’ The Cleveland Industrial Archaeologist. No 26 pp35-53