Marske Hall park from the air MYD36664 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The parkland around Marske Hall has been developed along with the hall itself from the 16th century onwards. A sketch by Samuel Buck (c1718) shows a deer park on rising ground to the south of the hall, an avenue of lime trees on Cat Bank and a walled garden on the south facing slope across Marske Beck. The brick walls of the walled garden were designed to retain heat so that fruit could be grown up them. They may date to the 17th century. In the later 19th century, the grounds near the house were planted with imported specimen trees including American redwoods. Ornamental gardens including fishponds were developed in the 19th and 20th centuries to the south of the walled garden. These later gardens run eastwards towards Coney Warren Wood and include a grass terrace walk overlooking the beck. The deer park is graced with Hutton’s Monument, an obelisk erected in memory of the then hall owner’s younger brother Matthew Hutton who died in 1814 aged 35. The site of the monument gave his favourite view and he asked to be buried there.
Marske Hall park MYD36664 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher
Location No access into park. From Downholme, take A6108 north. After just under 1 mile take left hand turn to Marske over Downholme bridge. View park from roadside here.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Marske. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside (at a distance).