Pratt’s stables and kennels, Askrigg MYD34267 (c) YDNPA, 2023
John Pratt was a racehorse breeder and master of the Askrigg Harriers during the 18th century. He kept his hunters and pack of hounds in a yard behind the house he built on Askrigg’s main street in 1767. The kennels and stabling date to the late 18th or early 19th century. The kennels had a semi-circular enclosure attached and the long row of stabling lay beyond. The site has now been developed to provide holiday accommodation.
Hartley, M & Ingilby, J (1953) Yorkshire Village. London: J M Dent & Sons
Nottage, D B (1996) ‘The Squire of Askrigg’ Yorkshire History Quarterly. Vol 2:2 pp45-47
Location Site lies in centre of Askrigg on west side of main road. Now redeveloped as holiday accommodation. No public access. View through archway from roadside.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Askrigg. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside pavement.