Quaker Meeting House, Bainbridge MYD34349 (c) YDNPA, 2023
An early 19th century Friend’s Meeting House built from stone rubble and with a stone slate roof. It is single storey with a gallery at the left end. Inside there is original wooden panelling to the meeting room and elders’ gallery. The chapel was built in 1836 replacing an earlier meeting house converted from a cottage in 1668. The latter stood where the Temperance Hall now is. The new meeting house was sited next to a burial ground that had been bought by the Quakers in 1672. This was extended when the new meeting house was built. It contains the graves of several important Quakers from the area including Richard Robinson (died 1692) who was the first Quaker in Wensleydale and Alexander Fothergill (died 1788) who surveyed the Richmond to Lancaster turnpike road.
Hall, June (2001) Step by Step round Bainbridge… a village walk in Wensleydale. Bainbridge: Unicorn Projects
Location From A684 through Bainbridge take road north signed to Askrigg. Site lies on right hand side 100 metres from junction.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Bainbridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside.