Sedbergh School library

  • Home
  • Sedbergh School library
Historical Environment Record No:
OS Grid Reference:
Related to:


Sedbergh School library MYD35657 (c) YDNPA, 2023

Sedbergh School library MYD35657 (c) YDNPA, 2023

Sedbergh’s public school was founded in 1525 by Roger Lupton. The library building dates to 1716 and originally housed the school classrooms. The Old Grammar School as it is sometimes known, was altered in the 19th century and the interior remodelled in 1957-8 by Sir Albert Richardson.


Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle

Yorke, Peter (1996) ‘The Foundation of Sedbergh School’ Sedbergh Historian. Vol 3:5 pp33-38 – website for Sedbergh School


South side of Sedbergh beside the junction of Back Lane and the Dent road. Loftus Hill car park (free) nearby. Open to the public when not in use by students. School contact details on

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.


Check with school, contact details on