Ribblehead Station MYD4745 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Several stations were built along the line of the Settle-Carlisle railway and some are still in use today. This example was built in 1875 by J Thornton of Bradford in the typical Midland Railway Company ornate ‘Derby Gothic’ style with decorated wooden barge boards, pitched sandstone walls with dressed stone quoins, lintels and window surrounds and a Welsh slate roof. The station building was restored in 1999-2000 and is now a visitor centre with displays on the history and construction of the railway. Other buildings on the site include the original station master’s house lying to the north of the station. The opposite north-bound platform had been removed in the 1960s to make way for a new quarry siding. With the saving of the Settle-Carlisle Railway there was a need to reinstate it. Supporters raised the necessary funds and it was rebuilt in the early 1990s, offset south of its original position to leave room for the sidings.
Jenkinson, David (1980) Rails in the Fells. Seaton: Peco Publications
Location Trains on the Settle-Carlisle railway stop at Ribblehead station.
By road it is reached by an access drive off the B6255. The drive is about 200 metres south east (direction of Ingleton) of the junction with the B6479 to Horton-in-Ribbledale. Turn left opposite the Station Inn, before the railway bridge.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Ribblehead station. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Fully accessible.