Rylstone Hall grounds – aerial photo MYD3942 © YDNPA, 2004 (046/13)
The ruins of the Norton family seat were demolished some time in the 20th century. Only the earthworks of the extensive water gardens that once lay to the east of it survive. Survey and aerial photographs reveal that there was once a square lake with a central bird island. The Nortons lost their property after the Rising in the North in 1569 and the estate was dismantled during the following century.
Moorhouse, Stephen (2003) ‘The anatomy of the Yorkshire Dales: deciphering the medieval landscape’ in Manby, T G et al (eds) (2003) The Archaeology of Yorkshire: an assessment at the beginning of the 21st century. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 3 pp298-362
Location In Rylstone take the narrow lane opposite the pond signposted Rylstone Church. Go through the gate beyond the church. The path continues ahead through a gate into a grassy field. The path goes north along the edge of this field and the old fish ponds, now dry, can be seen on the right.
About 300m from the main road, B6265.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Rylstone. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Footpath rough and muddy in places. Gates.