Scargill House chapel MYD35198 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Scargill Chapel is one of the few 20th century buildings within the National Park to have been listed. It was built in 1958-61 as the chapel for a religious holiday and conference centre. The architect was George G Pace, one of the leading ecclesiastical architects of his day. The unusual steeply pitched roof is visible from the other side of the Dale and the building uses local materials ‘to appear to grow out of the dale’ as Pace intended.
Pace P G (1990) The Architecture of George Pace. London:Batsford
http://www.scargillmovement.org – website with information about the religious centre, chapel and estate
Location In Kettlewell take Conistone road signed Scargill House. Entrance is 1 1/2 miles along. No public access. Chapel can also be viewed on east side of valley from B6160 Threshfield to Kettlewell road. See www.scargillhouse.co.uk for further details.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Kettlewell. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Not open to the public, but see www.scargillmovement.org
for courses and access information.