Sedbergh Reading Room MYD36034 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The reading room and market house at Sedbergh was presented to the town by the Rev. J. H. Evans, on his retirement as headmaster of Sedbergh School in 1858, the cost being ‘in part defrayed by a fund raised by his former pupils…and applied at his request to this purpose’. Such combination buildings are usually found in larger settlements where civic pride and sufficient funding are combined. At Sedbergh, the market hall was originally on the ground floor under the arches. The building was radically altered in 2002 with the main library accommodation being transferred to the ground floor and a new staircase and lift being inserted to serve the first floor IT and community rooms.
Partrick, C (2004) ‘Reading Rooms and Literary Institutes of the Yorkshire Dales’ in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp203-212
Location Lies on north side of churchyard just before junction of Finkle Street and Main Street in Sedbergh town centre. Houses town library. For opening times see www.cumbria.gov.uk/libraries/ .
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside. Fully accessible inside, see www.cumbria.gov.uk/libraries/ for details.