St Mary the Virgin’s Church, Muker MYD35409 (c) YDNPA, 2023
A chapel-of-ease had stood on this site previously but in 1580 it was substantially rebuilt and a graveyard consecrated so that residents of Upper Swaledale no longer had to transport their dead all the way to the parish church in Grinton. The tower, nave and chancel all date to this period. It would at that time have had a thatched roof and the evidence for the older steep pitched roof can be seen inside. The roof was replaced with stone slates in 1761. The church was restored in 1891.
Cooper, Edmund (1948) Muker: The Story of a Yorkshire Parish. Clapham: Dalesman
Location From centre of Muker take road past Literary Institute north. The gate to the church is on right next to the Public Hall. Open during daylight hours. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Muker. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Level, well-made paths in churchyard. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.