St Peter’s Chapel of Ease, Hebden MYD35857 (c) YDNPA, 2023
The first place of worship to be built in Hebden in Wharfedale was the Methodist Chapel, and this wasn’t until 1812. In 1838 a large proportion of the congregation broke away and built a Primitive Methodist chapel nearby. This and the growing village population finally spurred the Church of England on to build its own church in the village. St Peter’s chapel of ease was built to the designs of its curate, the Rev John Feron, and is in the Gothic revival style. It was consecrated in October 1841.
Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group
Location Turn right into village off the B6265 Grassington to Pateley Bridge road. Just past the old school take the lane on the right. For services and opening details see www.yorkshirechurches.com.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Hebden. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Steps into church. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.