Town Hall & Devonshire Institute, Grassington MYD36010 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This imposing building at the top of Grassington sees constant use as an important community facility. It began life in 1855 as a Mechanics Institute, built by the 6th Duke of Devonshire, owner of the mineral rights on the Bolton Abbey estate. It contained a reading room for the edification of local men and boys. The Duke handed it over to the recently formed Grassington parish council in 1896 for a nominal fee. The back of the building was extended in 1923 to include a large hall, stage, dressing rooms and entrance hall. More recently, local people raised a large sum of money to further extend the building and add access ramps. The new facilities were opened in 1998 by the Marquess of Hartington, son of the 11th Duke of Devonshire.
Goldthorpe, Ian (1998) Grassington Towards the Millennium. Grassington: The Dales Book Centre
Partrick, C (2004) ‘Reading Rooms and Literary Institutes of the Yorkshire Dales’ in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp203-212