Thornton Rust hunt kennels prior to demolition MYD36644 (c) YDNPA 2023
In 1833, several local packs of hounds were amalgamated to form the Wensleydale Hounds or Harriers. This was a subscription pack and was maintained by its members. John Chapman of Thornton Hall, Thornton Rust was Master from 1833-1874 and the village became the headquarters for the hunt although it seems that the hounds were originally kept with the various members of the hunt to save money. From 1882 to 1907, the Master of the Hunt was W H Tomlinson, who had the pack kennelled at his own expense at his home, Flattlands, Aysgarth. The pack moved to brick-built kennels in Thornton Rust sometime in the early 20th century when members of the Chapman family took charge again. In the late 1970s, the pack moved to Hanging Lund Farm, Mallerstang and the Thornton Rust kennels were left derelict until demolished in 1998. Only the stone built mash house where the hounds’ food was prepared survives.
Stone plaque, Thornton Rust Hunt kennels MYD36644 (c) YDNPA, 2023
Chapman, F (1907) Reminiscences of the Wensleydale Hounds 1775-1907. The Wensleydale Hounds Past and Present. Eastbourne: V T Sunfield