Coal has been mined on Threshfield Moor since at least the early 17th century. A document dated June 1607 records Lancelot Johnson sinking a coal pit at Threshfield. From the mid-19th century the colliery had a succession of owners. The last, John Delaney, built a washery at the pithead in an attempt to improve the quality of the coal. His aim was to produce coal to burn in his new lime works in Threshfield. The mine worked an area full of old workings and in the end the miners simply ran out of coal. The colliery was abandoned in 1905, although Delaney’s company continued to run Threshfield Lime Works until well into the 20th century.
Gill M C (1994) The Wharfedale Mines. (British Mining No 49) Keighley: Northern Mine Research Society
Johnson, David (2002) Limestone Industries of the Yorkshire Dales. Stroud: Tempus
Location From B6265 Skipton to Grassington road, turn left just before Threshfield Bridge into Moor Lane. Continue for 3/4 mile up to a field gate. Follow public footpath signed Cracoe-Winterburn. Colliery visible on right after 1/4 mile. Do not approach.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Threshfield. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Footpath is rough and muddy in places. Danger of mineshafts, do not leave footpath.