Construction of the Richmond to Lancaster Turnpike was begun in 1751 and finished soon after. In 1795 a deviation from the original route took it up Widdale to Newby Head and down to Gearstones, thus avoiding the steep climb out of Bainbridge along the line of the Roman Road (Cam High Road). Cast iron mile posts dating to around 1820 survive in places along the route, but an earlier stone example, perhaps dating to the time of the late 19th century deviation can be seen just north of Newby Head. It is of gritstone, roughly round in section with a domed head and square base. It is inscribed ‘Hawes 6’, but this is now almost illegible.
Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing
Turnpike milestone, Newby Head MYD26068. Courtesy of Ruth Evans
Location Just over 4 miles from Ribblehead on the B6255 to Hawes. Stone lies on right hand side of road just before Widdale Head Farm.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Ribblehead Station. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from raodside but note few stopping places and fast traffic.