Bow Bridge, near Askrigg MYD29136 (c) YDNPA, 2023
This is possibly the earliest surviving bridge in the Yorkshire Dales. It probably dates to the early 13th century and was on the Upper Wensleydale estates of Jervaulx Abbey so may have a monastic origin. It consists of a single semi-circular arch with four ribs, the outer one being chamfered. It was widened on the downstream side around 1774 to accommodate the Richmond to Lancaster turnpike road. It spans Grange Gill west of Askrigg and now lies some way from the course of the modern road which crosses the River Bain over Yore Bridge, built in 1793.
Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing
Location From Bainbridge, take road north to Askrigg. After 1/2 mile take right hand turn at t-junction, cross bridge on the Hardraw to Askrigg road after 100 metres. From this point the ribbed arches can be seen to the north of the road. Can also be seen from access road to Coleby Hall but the view isn't as good.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Bainbridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside.