Cast iron milepost, B6255 MYD24632 (c) YDNPA, 2023
One of several examples surviving along the route of the Richmond to Lancaster Turnpike built in 1751. The triangular cast iron examples date to around 1825 and carry the words ‘Lancaster and Richmond Road’ along with the parish in the semicircular top panel. Distances to the nearest market towns are given on the triangular sides, in this instance ‘Ingleton 2 ¼ miles Hawes 14 miles’ along with the distances to Lancaster and Richmond.
Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing
Location Approaching from Ingleton on B6255 the milestone is just under 1 mile north of entrance to White Scar Cave. Look out for a ruined building on the left followed by a large bush/straggly tree.The milestone is on the right nearly opposite the bush.
Public Transport Details Nearest town/village: Ingleton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Accessibility Viewable from roadside but note lack of stopping places on this busy road.